Discuss this article or ask questions at the LDS.net Forums.
Bountiful Utah Temple
The Bountiful Utah Temple is the 47th operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The Bountiful Temple is the eighth temple constructed in the state of Utah. The history of this temple site began back in 1897, when John Haven Barlow Sr. purchased forty acres of land from the United States government. Because of lack of water and the steep terrain, there was little that could be done with the land. In 1947 some of the land was cleared and four hundred apricot trees were planted. In the spring of 1983, flash flooding caused a great deal of damage in Bountiful, resulting in the decision to build a dam across the canyon to limit the flow of water during heavy rainstorms. The city requested the use of the soil from the future temple site, so construction crews removed over two hundred thousand cubic yards of soil, leaving the area an ideal spot on which the Mormon temple would later be built. 
After considering numerous sites for the temple, the final decision was made on April 3, 1988, by the First Presidency of the Mormon Church. Four years later in May of 1992, the groundbreaking took place, and on January 8, 1992, President Howard W. Hunter dedicated the Bountiful Utah Temple. Two hundred thousand members of the Mormon Church attended the dedicatory sessions, more than had ever previously attended a temple dedication.
- "Bountiful Utah Temple Site History", by Barlow
- Official LDS Bountiful Utah Temple page
- Bountiful Utah Temple page
- A video about the Bountiful Utah Temple