Discuss this article or ask questions at the LDS.net Forums.
Hermosillo Sonora Mexico Temple
The Hermosillo Sonora Mexico Temple is the 72nd operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Hermosillo was one of the first areas in Mexico to have Mormon missionaries. In 1877, Brigham Young sent a pair of missionaries to the area. When the prophet died, however, the missionaries returned to Utah. It was seventy-nine years before missionaries returned to the area. Finally, missionaries returned on 26 June 1956. Since that time the Mormon Church has grown considerably in the area, with about 9,000 members in 2000.
Because of the considerable growth in the area President Gordon B. Hinckley promised the Saints during a visit in March of 1998 that a Mormon temple would be built there. The Church officially announced the building of the Hermosillo temple on 20 July 1998.
During the groundbreaking ceremony Elder Call, President of the Mexico North Area, talked about the eternal nature of temples saying, "A temple is an island of importance in our eternal journey to return to the presence of our Father in Heaven and live with him again after this life. The work done in the temple is eternal. It is a work of love.” 
President Hinckley dedicated the Hermosillo Sonora Mexico Temple on 27 February 2000. During the dedicatory prayer he asked the Lord's blessings upon members of the Church saying,
- Keep Thine ancient promises to the faithful. Shower blessings upon them. Crown their lives with a testimony of the truth of this Thy holy work. Bless Thy Saints throughout the earth that they may "look to Thee and live." May they have cause to rejoice in Thy goodness. Favor them with faith and testimony and great joy as they walk in faithfulness before Thee. 
The Hermosillo Sonora México Temple has a total floor area of 10,769 square feet, two ordinance rooms, and two sealing rooms.
- “News of the Church,” Ensign, Mar. 1999, 75
- "Dedicatory prayer: 'A crowning gem,'" Church News 4 Mar. 2000, 25 Jun. 2005
Temples in Mexico
- Ciudad Juárez Mexico Temple
- Colonia Juarez Chihuahua Mexico Temple
- Guadalajara Mexico Temple
- Hermosillo Sonora Mexico Temple
- Merida Mexico Temple
- Mexico City Mexico Temple
- Monterrey Mexico Temple
- Oaxaca Mexico Temple
- Tampico Mexico Temple
- Tuxtla Gutierrez Mexico Temple
- Veracruz Mexico Temple
- Villahermosa Mexico Temple
- Official Hermosillo Sonora México Temple page
- Hermosillo Sonora México Temple page
- Unofficial LDS Temples Site
- Mormon Temple Worship - BBC Religion & Ethics
- Mormon Temple Ordinances - ReligionFacts
- Mormon Temples - Lightplanet
- Mormon Temples - Wikipedia
- Temples and Mormon Temples - Answers.com
- Resources about the History and Symbolism of Mormon Temples
- Mormon Temples and Secrecy
- History of Mormon Temples - Lightplanet
- Mormons Open Temple Doors to Share Beliefs - USAToday
- A video about the Hermosillo Sonora Mexico Temple