Discuss this article or ask questions at the LDS.net Forums.
From MormonWikiThe Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints the millennium is a “thousand year period of peace that will begin when Christ returns to reign personally on the earth (see LDS Guide to the Scriptures and Article of Faith 10).”
When will the Millennium begin?
- The terrors of the night are vanishing away. Where there was fear and ignorance and superstition, now there is love and light and pure religion. Fear has become courage; ignorance is transformed into wisdom; superstition and tradition are replaced by the light and truth of heaven. Soon the wolves of wickedness will no longer howl and the jackals of sin no longer snivel and snipe at the ongoing kingdom, and the great millennial day will be upon us (Bruce R. McConkie, “The Morning Breaks; the Shadows Flee,” Ensign, May 1978, 12).
The millennium will begin at the time of Christ’s Second Coming. When Christ returns a resurrection will occur. All those who have been righteous will have their bodies and spirits made whole again. These righteous will help Christ rule and lead His Church. Just after the beginning of the Millennium a second group of righteous individuals will be resurrected. These people were not as righteous as those in the first group but will still have the opportunity to participate in Christ’s millennial reign.
Who will be on the Earth during the Millennium?
The wicked of the earth will be destroyed in pestilence, disease, and war before Christ comes again. Only good, just, and righteous people will remain on the earth. This does not mean that all will be members of the LDS faith. The Prophet Brigham Young taught that there would be many on the earth that were good men and women but had not yet learned of the gospel. Those who have passed away and have been resurrected will be able to visit the earth and will help build up the kingdom.
What will life be like during the Millennium?
- There will be no war (see Isaiah 2:4, 2 Nephi 12:4, Micah 4:3).
- The earth will be changed so that it is again like it was at the time of the Garden of Eden (see Ezekiel 36: 35).
- Satan will have no power over the people, and righteousness, love of neighbors, and peace will reign (see 1 Nephi 22: 26).
- People will continue to have children, and parents will have the joy of watching their children grow up in righteousness:
- And the earth shall be given unto them for an inheritance; and they shall multiply and wax strong, and their children shall grow up without sin unto salvation.
- For the Lord shall be in their midst, and his glory shall be upon them, and he will be their king and their lawgiver (Doctrine and Covenants 45: 58).
- People will continue to live, but when they get old they will not suffer death, they will be automatically changed from having a mortal body to having an immortal body:
- And he that liveth when the Lord shall come, and hath kept the faith, blessed is he; nevertheless, it is appointed to him to die at the age of man.
- Wherefore, children shall grow up until they become old; old men shall die; but they shall not sleep in the dust, but they shall be changed in the twinkling of an eye (Doctrine and Covenants 63:51, 52).
- The members of the Church will be engaged in performing temple work for the living and the dead. Resurrected beings (those who have passed away) will be able to help the living find the names of their ancestors and correct any mistakes that may have been made.
- Through temple work, all of the earthly family will be linked in eternal covenants from generation to generation all the way back to Adam. Those who wish to accept these eternal covenants will have the opportunity to do so.
- Members will also be busy teaching the gospel of Christ. Everyone will have the opportunity to hear it and choose for themselves whether or not they will accept it.
- Christ will rule over the Church and the government in perfection.
- There will be two capital cities: Jerusalem and the New Jerusalem in North America.
- Every living creature will live in peace, including animals.
- There will be no disease.
- There will be an increase of understanding and knowledge.
- People will continue to marry, have families, plant food, harvest crops, and build houses. They will help each other to build Zion, "the pure in heart," and there will be no poor among them.
What will happen at the end of the Millennium?
Satan will be loosed for a short time and some people will believe him and follow him. There will be a final battle between Satan and his followers and Christ and his followers. Satan will lose the battle and be defeated forever. The final judgment will then be performed for all who have lived on the earth who have not already been judged.