Discuss this article or ask questions at the LDS.net Forums.
Oaxaca Mexico Temple
The Oaxaca Mexico Temple is the 74th operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
In 1949, Arwel L. Pierce, the president of the Mexican Mission, while visiting the area prophesied that the Church would flourish in Oaxaca. Since that time, Mormon missionaries have baptized 8,500 members in Oaxaca. The number of members in surrounding areas that are served by the temple totals more than 28,000.
Because of faith and membership growth President Gordon B. Hinckley announced in 1999 that a temple would be built in Oaxaca. During the temple open house more than 10,000 people visited the new temple. Many visitors commented on the peaceful feeling found within the temple. The Oaxaca Mexico Temple was the first time President James E. Faust, Second Counselor in the First Presidency, dedicated a temple. The temple was dedicated on 11 March 2000. More than 18,000 members attended the four dedicatory sessions.
During the dedicatory prayer President Faust said, speaking in behalf of the local members, "We have longed for the day when a house of the Lord would be built nearer to us that we might come here often and worship Thee in spirit and in truth, and receive those ordinances, for both the living and the dead, which lead to immortality and eternal life through the great Atonement wrought by our Redeemer, Thy Beloved Son.” 
- "Oaxaca dedicatory prayer: 'May we come here frequently,'" Church News 18 Mar. 2000, 25 Jun. 2005
Temples in Mexico
- Ciudad Juárez Mexico Temple
- Colonia Juarez Chihuahua Mexico Temple
- Guadalajara Mexico Temple
- Hermosillo Sonora Mexico Temple
- Merida Mexico Temple
- Mexico City Mexico Temple
- Monterrey Mexico Temple
- Oaxaca Mexico Temple
- Tampico Mexico Temple
- Tuxtla Gutierrez Mexico Temple
- Veracruz Mexico Temple
- Villahermosa Mexico Temple
- Official LDS Oaxaca Mexico Temple page
- Oaxaca Mexico Temple page
- Mormon Temple Worship - BBC Religion & Ethics
- Mormon Temples - Wikipedia
- Resources about the History and Symbolism of Mormon Temples
- Mormon Missionary Work - Lightplanet
- Joseph Smith - American Prophet
- A video about the Oaxaca Mexico Temple