Discuss this article or ask questions at the LDS.net Forums.
Seattle Washington Temple
The Seattle Washington Temple is the 19th operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Plans to build a Mormon temple in Seattle, Washington were announced on May 27, 1978. With its completion the Seattle temple became the first of three temples in Washington. The other two are the Spokane Washington Temple (ded. 1999) and the Columbia River Washington Temple (ded. 2001).
Mormon history in the area goes back to 1854, when Mormon members came to work on the railroads. A few Mormon missionaries were also sent to the area. During these early years, members of the Church faced intense persecution and missionary work was slow. The first stake was created in 1938 and membership soon grew rapidly in the area. In 1960 there were 11,000 members in Washington, by 1970 there were 67,000, and by 1980 there were 138,000. Today there are more than a quarter of a million members of the Church in Washington.
A groundbreaking ceremony and site dedication were held for the Seattle Temple on May 27, 1978. Marion G. Romney presided at the ceremony and dedication. The temple site is 23.5 acres near Bellevue Airfield. Because of its proximity to the airfield the height of the spire was reduced and a red warning light was installed under the angel Moroni statue. But when the airfield closed in 1983 the light was removed.
The temple was open to the public for tours October 7- November 8, 1980. Those who took the tours of the 110,000 square foot temple were able to see the four ordinance rooms, twelve sealing rooms, Celestial room, baptistery, as well as learn more about Mormon beliefs associated with the temple.
Spencer W. Kimball, President of the Church at the time, dedicated the Seattle Washington Temple in multiple sessions held during November 17th through the 21st, 1980. The Seattle temple serves members in western Washington and British Columbia.