Discuss this article or ask questions at the LDS.net Forums.
Campinas Brazil Temple
The Campinas Brazil Temple is the 111th operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Plans to build the Campinas Brazil Temple were announced on April 3, 1997. More than 30 temples were announced on this day, and the Mormon Church leadership requested that members send in donations to help specifically with the temple work. The Mormon members from the Campinas area responded quickly, sending in donation after donation. One of the most touching donations came from an eight-year-old boy who had worked tirelessly to earn $100. The Campinas Temple is the fourth Mormon temple to be built in Brazil.
The first Mormon missionaries did not arrive in Brazil until the 1920's. Most of the early converts in Brazil were German immigrants coming to Brazil after World War I. In 1931, the 80 members of the small branch near Sao Paulo built the first Mormon meetinghouse in Brazil. During World War II Mormon missionaries were removed from Brazil, but when missionaries returned after the war, Brazilian natives began joining the Church by the hundreds. The Mormon membership in Brazil is strong and continues to grow quickly. More than 117,000 members from 36 stakes in the area will use the Campinas Temple. Brazil is home to more Mormons than any other country in the world except the United States and Mexico.
A groundbreaking ceremony and site dedication were held on May 1, 1998. It was presided over by James E. Faust, a member of the First Presidency. For President Faust, the event was moving, because he had served as a Mormon missionary in Brazil in the 1940s. The temple site consists of 6.18 acres. The site is on a hill overlooking the city of Campinas, which has a population of one million people, and can easily be seen from all around. Hundreds of people attended the groundbreaking ceremony and site dedication. One of the members of the Seventy noted that there were more than 50 buses in the parking lot that had been filled with members who came for the special occasion.
The Mormon temple was open to the public April 20, 2002 through May 11, 2002. Tens of thousands of people were able to take a tour through the temple and learn more about its sacred importance. Church President Gordon B. Hinckley dedicated the Campinas Brazil Temple on May 17, 2002. Four sessions were held, which allowed thousands to attend the dedication. Before the dedication, President Hinckley met with a large group outside, and the final cornerstone was placed in the temple. The construction was then officially completed.
Temples in Brazil
- Campinas Brazil Temple
- Curitiba Brazil Temple
- Porto Alegre Brazil Temple
- Recife Brazil Temple
- São Paulo Brazil Temple