The original Johnson Inn was the first brick structure built in the Kirtland area. Built in 1813 by Peter French, it was purchased by the Church in 1833. The building was given to [[Johnson Home}John Johnson]] Sr. as a stewardship. His son John Johnson Jr. bought the property from his father in 1837.
The building served as a temporary printing office after the press in Independence, Missouri, was destroyed by a mob in 1833. The Morning and Evening Star was published at the Inn between December 1833 and 1834.
Other events of significance to members of the Church that occurred here include the display of the Egyptian mummies Joseph Smith purchased from Michael Chandler. Joseph Smith, Sr. was called as first patriarch here and he gave the first patriarchal blessings here.
The inn burned down in the early 1900s and from 2000 to 2003, the Church reconstructed the John Johnson Inn on its original location.