North Central States Mission
The North Central States Mission is the ancestor of the Minnesota Minneapolis Mission. When it was organized in 1925, it was one of only 26 missions in the entire world.
The North Central States Mission was organized on 12 July 1925 from parts of the Northern States Mission, the Western States Mission, the Northeswestern States Mission, and the Canadian Mission. John G. Allred was the first president of the North Central States Mission.
The mission included all of Minnesota, North Dakota, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan. It also included the eastern and central portions of South Dakota and Ontario west of Port Arthur. In 1926 all of Montana east of Great Falls was added to the North Central States mission.
By 1930 there were ten branches that met in chapels owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the mission (including on the Berthold Indian Reservation in North Dakota) as well as another eight branches that met at rented locations.
In 1929 Arthur Welling succeeded President Allred in presiding over the mission.
In 1941 the Western Canadian Mission was organized and Saskatchewan was tranfered to that mission. In 1950 the Montanta-Wyoming mission was organized, which incorporated the Montana portion of the North Central States Mission into its boundaries.
When the Northern Indian Mission was organized in 1964, it took over missionary work on the Indian Reservations from the North Central States Mission. In 1973 this mission was renamed the Dakota-Manitoba Mission, relecting a decision to integrate missionary work with Native Americans into the overall missionary program of the Church. In 1970 the North Central States Mission had been renamed the Minnesota-Manitoba Mission. With the shifts in 1973, it was renamed the Minnesoa-Wsiconsin Mission.
With this renaming and creation of new missions, the Minnesota-Wisconsin Mission was primarily in the states of Minnesota and Wisconsin, with a part of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in its boundaries, but much of the western portions of Minnesota in the Dakota-Manitoba Mission.
In 1974 all missions were renamed to reflect the city in which they were based. Thus, this mission was renamed the Minnesota Minneapolis Mission. In 1978 the Milwaukee Wisconsin Mission was organized from parts of both the Minnesota Minneapolis Mission and the Chicago Illinois Mission.
Today, the Minnesota Mineapolis Mission consists mainly of Minnesota, except the western portion of the state. It encompasses much of western Wisconsin, and the very far westernmost point of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It also includes part of the far western area of Ontario.
The mission headquarters have been located at the same address in Bloomington, Minnesota, since at least 1973.
- H. Verlan Andersen who served in the First Quorum of the Seventy and then the Second Quorum of the Seventy served in the North Central States Mission.
- Monte J. Brough latter a general authority, served as president of the Minneapolis Minnestoat Mission.
- Ensign, May 1986, p. 101
- Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedia History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. p. 587.
- LDS Church Almanac, 2005 Edition, p. 467-479.
- LDS Church News, May 4, 1996