Robert L. Millet: Mormon Scholar
Robert L. Millet is a religious educator, scholar, and prolific writer, who has penned more than sixty books. He is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Millet was born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, on December 30, 1947. He earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in psychology from Brigham Young University. He earned a PhD in religious studies from Florida State University. He served as a full-time missionary to the Eastern States mission from 1967 to 1969. He and his wife, Shauna, are the parents of six children. They live in Utah.
Before joining the BYU Religious Education faculty in 1983, he worked for LDS Social Services, and the Church Educational System in the Seminary and institute program. Millet is professor emeritus of Ancient Scripture at BYU and has been an Abraham O. Smoot Professor. While at BYU, he also served as the Ancient Scripture Department Chair and Dean of Religious Education. He served for a time as the publications director of the Religious Studies Center as well as its director. He is a scholar on the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible. He retired from BYU in 2014. A collection of essays was published in his honor entitled Let Us Reason Together: Essays in Honor of the Life's Work of Robert L. Millet.
He also co-founded the Mormon-evangelical dialogue. He has been the Manager of Outreach and Interfaith Relations for the Public Affairs Department of the Church of Jesus Christ. Millet has also been a member of the Materials Evaluation Committee for the Church of Jesus Christ.
Millet has edited many books, including C.S. Lewis: The Man and His Message (with Andrew C. Skinner) and No Weapon Shall Prosper: New Light on Sensitive Issues. He was editor and compiler with Kent P. Jackson on the Studies in Scripture series, and with Joseph Fielding McConkie the Doctrinal Commentary on the Book of Mormon series.
His book titles include:
- Life Beyond the Grave (with Alonzo L. Gaskill)
- The Holy Spirit: His Identity, Mission, and Ministry
- The Atoning One
- Whatever Happened to Faith
- Men of Valor
- Men of Covenant
- Living in the Millennium
- Divine Conversations That Transform Daily Life
- Living in the Eleventh Hour
- Grace Works
- Coming to Know Christ
- Getting at the Truth: Responding to Difficult Questions about LDS Beliefs
- Lehi’s Dream, Coming to Know Christ
- A Different Jesus? The Christ of the Latter-day Saints
- More Holiness Give Me
- Lost and Found: Reflections on the Prodigal Son
- Life after Death: Insight from Latter-Day Revelation
- Talking with God: Divine Conversations that Transform Daily Life
- Men of Valor: The Powerful Impact of a Righteous Man, Grace Works
- I Will Fear No Evil: How the Lord Sustains Us in Perilous Times
- When a Child Wanders