Difference between revisions of "Brigham Young University"
Revision as of 20:24, 9 March 2006
Brigham Young University
Originally established on October 16, 1875, as the Brigham Young Academy, Brigham Young University was founded on principles of combined spiritual and secular learning.
Brigham Young University is sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or the Mormon Church. BYU is part of a Mormon Church education system, which serves more than 1.2 million people worldwide, including students at BYU in Provo, Utah; BYU–Hawaii in Laie, Hawaii; BYU–Idaho in Rexburg, Idaho; and LDS Business College in Salt Lake City, Utah. The education system also serves hundreds of thousands in continuing education and literacy programs, seminaries and institutes and elementary and secondary schools in many countries, including Fiji, Mexico, New Zealand, Samoa and Tonga.
Brigham Young University provides nationally recognized education in an atmosphere that upholds the moral standards of the Mormon Church, its sponsor.
BYU is recognized for extensive language programs, an academically minded and internationally experienced student body, talented performing arts ensembles, outstanding sports programs, quality teaching, and its beautiful mountain location. BYU is also known for being the number one “stone-cold sober” school in the nation!
Student Body Demographics
BYU students come from all 50 states, the District of Columbia and more than 120 countries. Daytime international students come from Asia, Canada, South America, Europe, Central America, Mexico, Eastern Europe and Russia, the Middle East, Africa and the South Pacific.
In 2004-2005, 51.7 percent of BYU students were men and 48.3 percent were women. Of these, 75 percent were single.
Approximately 98 percent of BYU students were members of the Church of Jesus Christ, with the remaining 2 percent representing more than 20 other religions.
There are approximately 1,600 full-time faculty members, 1,300 administrative employees and 1,200 staff personnel. Part-time employees include approximately 550 faculty, 900 staff and 13,000 students.
BYU faculty members hold advanced degrees from universities around the world, many speak one or more foreign languages, and have conducted research and studies in various countries.
More than 86 percent of BYU full-time faculty have doctoral degrees. Thirty-eight percent are full professors, 33 percent associate professors, 26 percent assistant professors and 3 percent instructors.
About 95 percent of the faculty are members of the Church of Jesus Christ, with the remaining 5 percent representing, among others, the Baptist, Catholic, Episcopal, Islamic and Jewish faiths.
Total BYU Alumni
Statistics of admitted Freshman - Fall 2004
Students with ACT 24-30 was 89%
Average high school GPA was 3.74
Retention Rate was 95%
Percent of freshman in the top tenth of their graduating class was 48%
Undergraduate Degrees Granted 2003-2004 were 7,253.
49% to men
51% to women.
Undergraduate tuition for 2005-2006 was $1,705 for full time Mormon students, $2,558 for full-time students of other faiths. Graduate tuition was $2,155 for full-time Mormon students and $3,233 for full-time non-mormon students.
BYU National Recognition
BYU was recognized in the 2005 edition of “America’s Best Colleges.” BYU received high marks from U.S. News & World Report in several categories, including being ranked in the second tier (74th) in the category of “Best National Universities,” 25th in “Great Schools at Great Prices” among national universities with doctoral programs and ninth in the nation for least student-incurred debt. BYU's undergraduate accounting program was also ranked sixth and its undergraduate management program 38th in the nation.
BYU was ranked by Consumers Digest as the second-best value in American private education. The Princeton Review ranked BYU number one in the categories of having a "great college library" and being "stone-cold sober." BYU was also ranked sixth for "best quality of life" and seventh in "happiest students." In addition, the Institutional Research and Evaluation Inc. named BYU the safest campus in the nation for schools of its size.
BYU is ranked above the 90th percentile nationally in being supportive, being academically challenging and fostering active and collaborative learning as measured in the 2004 National Survey of Student Engagement among undergraduates. Additionally, this national survey shows that significantly more BYU undergraduates (86 percent) participate “very often” in activities to enhance their spirituality than do undergraduates nationally (18 percent). Furthermore, 74 percent of BYU undergraduates rate their overall education as being “excellent,” with the national rate standing at 33 percent.