Cumorah, more commonly known among Mormons as the Hill Cumorah, is the name given to a hill four miles south of Palmyra, New York. It was in this hill, in roughly the year A.D. 421, that the prophet/historian Moroni deposited a record, engraved upon golden plates, he and his father Mormon had made. Fourteen hundred years later in 1827, that same Moroni directed young Joseph Smith to retrieve the record from the Hill Cumorah. Joseph did as directed and translated the plates into the Book of Mormon.
In addition to being a storehouse to the sacred record, the Hill Cumorah was somewhat of a school for young Joseph. During the years between Moroni's first visit to the prophet in 1823 and the time Joseph was allowed to take the plates in 1827, Joseph annually visited Cumorah. Each year, Moroni would meet Joseph and give him further knowledge and instruction.
Cumorah in the Book of Mormon
The Hill Cumorah Today
In 1928 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormon Church, purchased the Hill Cumorah and in 1935 there erected a monument comemmorating the visit of the Angel Moroni. The Church later built a visitor's center at Cumorah's base.
Nearly every summer since 1935 the Mormon Church has sponsered a free pageant entitled America's Witness for Christ. The pageant, which runs in July, is commonly referred to as the Hill Cumorah Pageant.