School of the Prophets
The School of the Prophets (also called the "school of the elders" or "school for the Prophets") was a select group of early Latter-Day Saint leaders who began meeting on January 23, 1833 in Kirtland, Ohio under the direction of the prophet Joseph Smith for both theological and secular learning. It provided a setting for spiritual experiences and in-depth discussions of gospel principles. A series of seven lectures presented at the school were published as Lectures on Faith. Another branch of this school existed under the direction of Parley P. Pratt in Independence, Missouri for a short while.
Brigham Young began several schools of the Prophets during his tenure as church president, beginning in 1868 in Salt Lake City, Utah, and spreading to Provo, Logan, Brigham City, Spanish Fork, Nephi, Ephraim, American Fork, and Ogden. His successor, John Taylor, also organized such schools in Salt Lake City and St. George in 1883.