Discuss this article or ask questions at the LDS.net Forums.
Philadelphia Pennsylvania Mormon Temple
From MormonWikiThe Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, often nicknamed the Mormon Church, announced that it would build a new temple in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The temple was originally scheduled to be located at 427 North Broad Street in downtown Philadelphia. However, the LDS Church encountered "contamination" problems with that site, prohibiting it from using the entire parcel to construct two buildings. He said the Church was "in the process" of finalizing a sales agreement for 1739 Vine St., now a parking lot owned by Logan Place Associates.
The new property is on the north side of Vine, east of Family Court and near the Central Library of the Free Library of Philadelphia and the Cathedral Basilica of SS. Peter and Paul.
It is assumed that the Mormon Church will follow the same pattern it has used in large metropolitan areas such as Hong Kong and New York City, that of building a multi-purpose high-rise building, with offices and a visitors' center on the lower floors and ordinance rooms on the top floors.
Several significant events in LDS Church history took place in Pennsylvania including much of the translation of the Book of Mormon and the restoration of priesthood authority. The Church was first established in Pennsylvania in 1839—growing to 450 members by October 1840. Membership fell following the migration of the Saints to Salt Lake but grew again as Mormon European emigrants arrived. Eventually the first stake was organized in 1960 with 1,100 members located in congregations in southeastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland. Today there are nearly 48,000 members in Pennsylvania alone who will use the Philly Mormon Temple(LDS Newsroom, October, 2008).
The groundbreaking ceremony for the Philadelphia Pennsylvania Temple took place on Saturday, September 17, 2011—the 224th anniversary of the signing of the Constitution of the United States at Philadelphia’s Independence Hall. Attendance at the temple site was by invitation only. The event warranted a long story in the Philadelphia Enquirer.