Discuss this article or ask questions at the LDS.net Forums.
Brandon Mull is an American writer who is best known as the author of the Fablehaven fantasy series, which is a New York Times' bestseller. Mull is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, sometimes casually called the Mormon Church or LDS Church.
Mull, a Brigham Young University graduate who served an LDS mission in Chile, says growing up in Connecticut surrounded by forest provided inspiration for the fantasy series. Mull attended Rochambeau Middle School as a student, and also where the Fablehaven series takes place.
- “For as long as I can remember, I’ve spent a lot of my free time daydreaming and making up stories,” he said. “Sometimes I would daydream about strange creatures in the woods. The idea of secret wildlife refuges for magical creatures came to mind, and a story gradually took shape” 
The Fablehaven series has sold more than one million books since its 2006 release, and each volume has appeared on the New York Times bestselling children’s book list. Mull says that by the end of 2010, the series will be available in 20 languages. The remarkable success of Fablehaven has captured the attention of Hollywood, with Avi Arad, producer of Spiderman and Iron Man, purchasing the rights to make a Fablehaven movie.
Movie rights have also been purchased for another of Mull’s books, The Candy Shop War. The book was originally meant to stand alone, but because so many fans have been asking for more, there are now plans to release a sequel in the second half of 2011.
In the spring of 2011, Mull will also be releasing the first book in his new three-part series, The Beyonders.
Books by Brandon Mull
- Fablehaven, published by Shadow Mountain, 2006
- Fablehaven:Rise of the Evening Star, Shadow Mountain, 2007
- Fablehaven:Grip of the Shadow Plague, Shadow Mountain, 2008
- Fablehaven:Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary, Shadow Mountain, 2009
- Fablehaven:Keys to the Demon Prison, 2010 (final book of the series)
- The Candy Shop War, Shadow Mountain, 2007
- Pingo, Shadow Mountain, 2009
- The Beyonders — Coming soon.