James A. Cullimore
James A. Cullimore was an emeritus general authority of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He was sustained as an Assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on April 6, 1966, and served until the position was discontinued on October 1, 1976. On that date he was sustained a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy and served until September 30, 1978, when he was granted emeritus status.
Cullimore was born on January 17, 1906, in Lindon, Utah. He earned his bachelor’s degree from Brigham Young University, where he was also student body president for a year. He later earned his master’s degree from New York University School of Retailing.
Cullimore’s father owned a grocery store during his adolescence, which introduced him to retailing. After his graduation from New York University, he worked as a furniture buyer for Gimbel Brothers department store in New York City, then for a Chicago department store. He also worked in Sioux City, Iowa, before taking a job with an Oklahoma City store in 1937. In 1946, he opened his own furniture store there.
He served in the Church in a variety of positions, including full-time missionary in California, branch president in Sioux City and Oklahoma City, president of the West Oklahoma District, and first president of the Oklahoma Stake. He had served in that position for only a few weeks when he was called as president of the Central British Mission. Following his return from England, he was called to be a member of the Church’s Priesthood Welfare Committee.
Cullimore married Grace Gardner in 1931. She died in 1975. Two years later he married Florence Prows. He was the father of three children. He was also the stepfather of seven children.