John H. Vandenberg
John H. Vandenberg was a General Authority of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He was sustained as the ninth Presiding Bishop in 1961 and served until 1972 when he was sustained as an Assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. In 1976, when that calling was abolished, he was sustained as a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy and served until 1978 when he received emeritus status.
Vandenberg was born on December 18, 1904, in Ogden, Utah. His parents were immigrants from the Netherlands. He had the opportunity to serve as a full-time missionary to that country. He met his wife, Ariena, while serving there. They were the parents of two daughters.
He graduated from Weber Academy (now Weber State University) and worked as an accountant with a livestock agency. He also worked for a sheep and wool merchandising firm.
He passed away on June 3, 1992.
General Conference Talks
- "'What Is Truth?'" April 1978
- "You Are Your Greatest Treasure," April 1976
- "To Cleanse Our Souls," October 1975
- "Truth Will Emerge Victorious," October 1974
- "Touchstone of Truth," April 1974
- "The Agency of Man," April 1973
- "Becoming a Somebody," October 1972
- "Whence Cometh Our Peace?" April 1972
- "'Turn Heavenward Our Eyes,'" October 1971
- "My Brother's Keeper," April 1971