Santiago Chile Temple
The Santiago Chile Temple is the 24th operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
In 1850, Mormon missionaries from America arrived in Chile to begin preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ to the Chilean people. Their stay was not long, however, due to the language barrier. Ninety-five years passed before two missionaries from Argentina would arrive to begin the preaching again. By the time of the dedication of the Santiago Temple in 1983, there were 140,000 members of the Mormon Church in the country of Chile.
The announcement to build a temple in Chile came three years prior to the dedication. The Santiago was the first Mormon temple built in a Spanish-speaking country and the second to be built in South America.
In 1983 the completed Santiago Chile Temple was open to the public for tours. Many faithful Mormon members came from distant cities to participate and rejoice over the building and dedication of the temple built in their country. The temple was finally dedicated on September 15, 1983 by Gordon B. Hinckley.
With the rapid growth of the Mormon Church in the country of Chile, the temple was closed for extensive renovation and was rededicated in March 2006. Currently, the Chilean Temple serves more than 535,000 Mormon members. The Santiago Chile Temple features motifs of the national flower (copihue), art-glass windows, inlaid Chilean marble and lapis lazui. It has a total of 20,831 square feet, two ordinance rooms, and two sealing rooms.
- Official LDS Santiago Chile Temple page
- Santiago Chile Temple page
- Parley P. Pratt--First Missionary to Chile in 1851
- Mormon Temple Ordinances - ReligionFacts
- Temples and Mormon Temples - Answers.com
- Early Christianity and Mormonism: The LDS Temple Endowment: An Introduction
- Mormon Missionaries - BBC Religion & Ethics
- Prophet Joseph Smith - Lightplanet
- A video about the Santiago Chile Temple