Undeleted from Spam pages
On September 6, this page was spammed. Because of a problem with moving the page and the talk page, I accidentally deleted the history of the old page, and I think it's lost now because I couldn't move them both over together. We have the current page now, and the original talk page. Sorry for any confusion this creates. --Bakera 14:11, 11 September 2006 (MDT)
New Main Page
Sorry it has taken so long to get you any input on this new page. My supervisor has been out of town but is now back. We really like this layout and hope to soon incorporate it as the main page. I made a few alterations. One questions though, as to the featured articles, would you be willing to change them periodically or would you like someone else to handle that? Any other suggestions?Amaranth 14:36, 22 August 2006 (MDT)
As you can see, the new main page is up. Thanks for all your help thus far. MormonWiki is improving leaps and bounds thanks to your contributions and suggestions.Amaranth 14:27, 23 August 2006 (MDT)
I'd like to make a suggestion for a drastically different front page. I'd like to split the page up using a couple of different sections:
- About the LDS Church - one paragraph explaining what the Church is for those who aren't familiar with it. Something like what we have now but probably more like what is in the first paragraph of Wikipedia.
- Featured Article - this is the major addition to the FP. Instead of a daily featured article, we can feature one for a few days at a time (week). We could also have multiple Featured Article sections like below. I'm not sure which make sense, if some should be combined, some should be added. Suggestions??
- Featured Temple -
- Featured Individual -
- Featured Gospel Principle -
- Featured Historical Event -
- Featured Location -
- Featured Scriptural Individual -
- Community - this section would discuss getting involved with links to getting started, todo, needed articles, tutorials, etc.
- More Good Foundation - I think this should be minimized as much as possible (small link at the bottom instead of major block on FP) probably along with link for donations (yes, you probably need money for hosting). We shouldn't confuse people with the MGF. The first look makes the site seem more about the MGF than the Church. I almost left thinking the MGF might be anti-LDS (until I read more).
I also suggest we split the page into two columns that represents the front page of the English version of Wikipedia. I'm thinking of about 6 blocks (3 on each side), About the Church, Community and 4 Features Articles.
Main Page Revamp
The main page could use another face lift. I've rearranged it some.
- The opening explanatory paragraph can be extended to include some of our basic beliefs.
- The idea of a featured article section is good for all the subcategories except Scriptural Individual (I don't think we have enough to warrant it). How does a featured article section work, though, ie. is it something that is changed manually?
- Is Community any different from the Getting Started subsection?
The featured articles are manual. I suggest creating a new page for Featured Articles that we can use to propose new ones, write the summaries, and list past featured articles so we don't repeat.
The community is basically the same thing as Getting Started. --Tallred 17:27, 8 August 2006 (MDT)
Suggestion writing guide
You guys might want to develop a "writing guide", with a defined set of presuppositions behind the wiki. This might help control the craziness that could ensue. Those promoting the Mormon Church obviously can do their work here, while those critical can go to MormonWiki.org. I'm not Mormon, but I'm glad this project exists, and I hope it serves to promote clarity and honest presentations. Take care, -Aaronshaf 14:53, 20 December 2005 (MST)
I agree with the guide. There seems to be no philosphy or writing standards setup right now. Wikipedia has very strict guidelines of what you can write and how you can write it. Some potential issues for contention:
- Can I post personal information about myself (or ancestors)?
- Can I write opposing views to accepted Church doctrine?
- Can I post links to my personal website?
- Can I post profanity?
- Should I write in present tense or past tense?
- Should I write in third person or first person?
-- Tallred July 26, 2006
Some people may know that last night Mormonwiki was vandalized (worse than I've ever seen/imagined a site could be). It was embarrassing and outright sickening to see the stuff that got put onto the frontpage (and many other pages). I think the vandals have left us no choice but to lock the front page and any image displayed on the page.
In addition, there should be more moderators and sysops. Regular users are really powerless when it comes to stopping a very good vandal. And it took too long for a sysop to finally sign on. I don't visit every day, but I watch a lot of pages and get notified pretty quickly as I'm sure many other active users do. --Tallred 11:19, 21 March 2007 (MDT)
Tallred: I agree -- the vandalism last night was awful and can't he allowed to happen again. I've upgraded you to Sysop so you can directly help out. If you know of other trusted contributors, I'd be happy to make them administrators as well. Do you mind contacting me so we can discuss security a bit more? --Rmiller 11:38, 21 March 2007 (MDT)
At Wikipedia established articles are semi-protected and can only be edited by established editors.
With Pres Faust's passing, may I suggest he be the featured individual on the home page? Also, is there a better place to put suggestions than the discussion page? Reds0xfan 01:17, 20 August 2007 (MDT)
- I was thinking the same thing myself. I second that suggestion. --Seanmcox 11:23, 20 August 2007 (MDT)
- Perhaps we could switch it and keep him featured until the October Conference. Then, assuming a second counselor is called right away to replace James E. Faust, we might feature him. Assuming a new apostle is called as well, he might make another good option. (And then perhaps a couple of months later, it could be switched, and then a couple of months later, back to Pres. Hinckley.) --Seanmcox 11:33, 20 August 2007 (MDT)
- seanmcox, can you lead out on this? The featured individual can be edited from its template, which I believe you have full access to edit. Please let me know if you encounter any technical trouble. I agree that it's high time it was updated. Rmiller 16:09, 20 August 2007 (MDT)
OK, I've made the switch now. I tried to follow the pattern of the previous Featured Individual, Gordon B. Hinckley, (with some small changes) by giving, initially, a brief summary of who the man is, followed by a mini-biography summary of major events which brings the reader up to the point where the first sentence introduced the man. I think it came out slightly longer than the Gordon B. Hinckley version.--Seanmcox 10:21, 21 August 2007 (MDT)
- It looks great. Great idea (Reds0xfan, too) to change it. Rmiller 10:35, 21 August 2007 (MDT)
So, what do we think, Quentin L. Cook, or Henry B. Eyring? I can think of good reasons for doing either first, though I suspect most will prefer Elder Cook. (I'm asking nonetheless.) I want to put something up tomorrow some time. (So, I guess I won't be getting too much feedback.) I uploaded photos for each and created a page for Elder Cook. (Though, I suspect it could use some filling out. Perhaps a good quote or something and some editorializing.) --Seanmcox 23:27, 6 October 2007 (MDT)
- I went with Eyring. In a few months (January?, April?) I suppose I'll probably change it to Elder Cook. --Seanmcox 23:05, 7 October 2007 (MDT)
- Fine job on the bio of Elder Eyring. Indeed, you were too fast for feedback. :) --Rmiller 10:01, 8 October 2007 (MDT)
So, do we want to switch the template to Gordon B. Hinckley then, or do we want to wait and do something else. (I'm personally in favor of switching to Gordon B. Hinckley now.) The Quentin L. Cook feature, I suppose, would be on hold now, and we would then have the option, come April, of going with a Thomas S. Monson feature, a new apostle feature, or a Cook feature. I suppose I would lean in favor of a Monson feature followed by a new apostle feature and then a Cook feature, but I would totally understand wanting to go another route. (I suppose I'm assuming rather strongly that we want to switch to a Hinckley feature now in memorium.) -Seanmcox 22:28, 27 January 2008 (MST)
There will be another new counselor President Monson will call I wonder if we should put him next or Elder Cook and the new apostle as the feature. I am pretty sure President Eyring will be retained as a counselor though. So it may be after President Hinckley President Monson, Than his new counselor than Elder Cook and later on new apostle before it reverts back to =prophet. (==southidaho==)
No it doesn't, and I would LOVE your help with it. I played around with the Ambox template from wikipedia, but never could get it to work. Heather 11:18, 28 December 2007 (MST)
(Talk) 17:42, 11 March 2008 (MDT)
Izapa Stela 5
Anyone working on a piece for the Izapa Stela 5? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izapa_Stela_5
If not I can try to write something up when I get more time flowing in my direction. -=0)
--Jamesngm 07:08, 2 November 2008 (UTC)
Move the Search box?
This is my first time visiting mormonwiki, and I like the site. I think it would help if the search box was moved above the languages box. I have my resolution set to 1680 x 1050, and I still have to scroll down to see it. Dutchscout 06:27, 12 January 2009 (UTC)