Discuss this article or ask questions at the LDS.net Forums.
Tampico Mexico Temple
From MormonWikiThe Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The first Mormon temple in Mexico was built in Mexico City in 1983. By 2006, just twenty-two years later, the number has increased to twelve temples. The Tampico Mexico Temple was the 6th temple to be dedicated in Mexico.
The Tampico area has seen rapid growth with the number of Mormons in the area going from one stake to four stakes in just twenty-five years. Tampico itself has a population of about 212,000 and is located on the Gulf of Mexico. There are about 18,000 members in the city.
The new temple will make the members' journey to the temple much easier. Previously the Saints had to cross the Sierra Madre mountain range to reach the temple in Mexico City, a difficult endeavor. Elder Call presided over the groundbreaking ceremony, which about 930 people attended, on 28 November 1998. During the ceremony Elder Call said, “Having a temple near will open doors to growth, and as we attend we will receive blessings that we can’t even begin to comprehend or understand at this time. Men and women will grow in their strength and power so that Satan will have less power over them.” 
President Thomas S. Monson, of the First Presidency gave the dedicatory prayer for the Tampico Mexico Temple on 20 May 2000. During the dedication prayer President Monson prayed "that there may emanate from this Thy house a spirit of love and peace, a spirit divine and holy, which will be felt in this great city." President Monson ended the prayer with a plea for the Saints in the area saying, "Lift the burdens of poverty from the backs of Thy children and prosper them as they serve Thee in righteousness, walking in obedience to Thy commandments." 
The Tampico México Temple has a total floor area of 10,700 square feet, two ordinance rooms, and two sealing rooms.
- “News of the Church,” Ensign, Mar. 1999, 75
- "Tampico dedicatory prayer: 'Lift the burdens of poverty,'" Church News 27 May 2000, 25 Jun. 2005
Temples in Mexico
- Ciudad Juárez Mexico Temple
- Colonia Juarez Chihuahua Mexico Temple
- Guadalajara Mexico Temple
- Hermosillo Sonora Mexico Temple
- Merida Mexico Temple
- Mexico City Mexico Temple
- Monterrey Mexico Temple
- Oaxaca Mexico Temple
- Tampico Mexico Temple
- Tuxtla Gutierrez Mexico Temple
- Veracruz Mexico Temple
- Villahermosa Mexico Temple
- Official Tampico México Temple page
- Tampico México Temple page
- Unofficial LDS Temples Site
- Mormon Temple Worship - BBC Religion & Ethics
- Mormon Temple Ordinances - ReligionFacts
- Mormon Temples - Lightplanet
- Mormon Temples - Wikipedia
- Temples and Mormon Temples - Answers.com
- Resources about the History and Symbolism of Mormon Temples
- Mormon Temples and Secrecy
- History of Mormon Temples - Lightplanet
- Mormons Open Temple Doors to Share Beliefs - USAToday
- A video about the Tampico Mexico Temple